Welcome to my world...

Hi everyone and welcome to my little piece of the world!

It has been evident to me since I was in about seventh grade, that I love writing and it is a talent I have been blessed with . It wasn't until I reached the ripe old age of 28 though, that I realized God had a much bigger plan for the gift he had given me.

Through blogging on MySpace, I was able to reach not only those that I knew in my own life, but also complete strangers and was amazed at how just my "ramblings" had helped so many people to be inspired, encouraged, or just to think about things in a new way.

From there, it grew into an inspirational column in The Charlotte Observer, then a religious news column in The Statesville Record & Landmark, a speaking engagment for a women's church group and now, a gig as a religion news freelance writer for The Charlotte Observer.

The writing that is closest to my heart though is not the news reporting, but the words that come from my soul - the words that I know God puts there not only to help me to understand life better, but also those around me.

I hope you feel encouraged, enlightened and inspired but what you read here and of course, I look forward to hearing back from you too!

Saturday, March 19, 2011

+ or -

Have you ever actually pondered that age-old question, are you a "glass half full" or "glass half empty" kinda person?  Nah, I haven't either.  I mean if someone asked me offhand, sure I'd say I'm a half full person.  I try to find the positive in things.  But I've never actually really thought about it... and, like most of us, find myself frustrated with so many things in my day-to-day, that even I'd have to stop and wonder, is that all talk?

But I literally found myself looking at a glass the other day that was half full of water.  It was just sitting there on my coffee table and my gaze just randomly fell on it in between whatever I was working on on the computer and happened to look up at on tv, but nonetheless when it did... that's what I saw.  A glass half FULL of water.  And I consciously realized it.  I then had to stare intently at that glass to see it as half EMPTY.  Like when you stare at one of those optical illusion pictures where if you look at it one way, it's a rabbit, but if you look at it another way, it's an old woman.  I had to make myself view the half empty portion of the glass.  And ya know what?  I'm glad!

I always say who you are really is who you are when no one's looking.  You know... you tell the truth even if you'd never be "caught", you stop at a red light and wait even when there's not a soul around... it's who you are behind closed doors, who you "default" to... that says who you really are.  Well in this case, this is who I am when I'M not looking.  ;)  When I wasn't preoccupied with worrying about something, hoping for something, overanalyzing something to death (like I love to do), planning for something... when I was simply just being... I was being positive.  And that makes me happy.  :)

We all are going to get overwhelmed.  We're all going to question ourselves and our lives once in awhile.  We all become a bit of a Debbie Downer once in awhile.  But if underneath the everyday stresses and worries, we can hold on to a solid foundation of hope, goodness and optimism, we have all we need.  Because it is that positivity, that light, that will continue to guide us through the dark times and remind us of how blessed we are, in the simplest of ways.

Like having a glass half full of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment